I can quite easily imagine three different reactions to Black Friday. None of which, by the way, involve shopping on Thanksgiving, or waiting in line in a dark, cold, big store parking lot.
- Prepare in advance. Know your targets. Execute effectively.
- Panic. Whimper. Deny.
I have traditionally taken path number 2, inasmuch as I’m incapable of number 1, and I don’t want to waste emotional capacity on number 3. Isn’t anger exhausting? But I’d like to suggest an alternative. Pretend a friend poked around the Internet and sent you a brief list for your consideration. When one partners up with LinkShare and RewardStyle, as I have done to donate to Dress for Success, retailers send information. And information can be culled.
If you happen to be lounging about today, dishwasher humming, rust chrysanthemums in fresh water, and family happily ensconced in the seating apparatus of choice, I present to you a few Black Friday picks wherein luxury moves one click to the left – into the One Might Just range.
1. Have you ever wanted a pair of ornamented dress shoes? Sure, you might use them for your offspring’s weddings, but also for nights out in the nearest big city. Shoes.com has 30% off all sale shoes with the code BLACK. These Badgley Mischkas included. (Winner of the hardest designer to spell in the world)
2. I’ve long coveted a monogram necklace, and Charm and Chain offers a wide variety. Today and this weekend they also offer 20% off all orders under $150, 25% off orders between $150-$400, and 30% off orders over $400. Use codes: thanksgiving20, thanksgiving25, or thanksgiving30, respectively Here’s my particular favorite. I like those two holes punched in contrast to the ornate initial. Won’t be monogrammed by Christmas, but I’ve given and received presents signified by photos cut from magazines, or printed from the web, with no shame at all.
3. How about designer gear, Otte NY is offering 70% off already reduced sale goods, with the code BLACKFRIDAY. You can experiment with an offbeat piece you surprise yourself by wearing wearing everywhere. Iridescent green patent leather, anyone?
5. And finally, because sometimes luxury is finding just what you need for a cheering 30% off, go to Dependable Favorite Land’s End, where the discount applies to everything, from now through Monday. (While net-a-porter isn’t quite so generous, they’ve got a lot of gear on sale for 30% off too.)
See? Much less daunting. And if any of you more intrepid souls would like to contribute tips on this whole online sale business, we can only learn.