In particular, as All Skinny Jeans All The Time give way to multiple pants styles, the pointed shoe helps with our transition. Still in skinnies? Pointed toes look newer, edgier, a little more adult. Moving to bootcut, flares, or boyfriend? Same effect, perfect proportions.
Skirts and dresses? Again the impact. And pointed toes invite Sturdy Gal flats – by some quirk of human imagination and societal engineering always less formal than heels – to all sorts of dress-rich environments. Like parties. And work.
More good news? Because why not keep it coming. Worried about comfort? I had a pair of pointy-toes that I wore all the way out. Put new soles on them two or three times. Zero foot pain, if correctly sized. Need a little heel? We can do that. Worried about cost? Available at all price points. Let’s take a gander.
1. The pair I used to own. Manolo Blahnik, via Neiman Marcus. $675. 10 years ago they cost a third that, but let’s stay cheerful and exclaim over the enduring design of a classic. Ah, I still remember that soft, quilted leather. One of the best Chanel-influenced pieces ever.
2. Armani’s asymmetry. You loved it in a pump, why not for a navy suede flat? Via Saks. $525.
4. Or how about Coach? Yes I said Coach. Their new design director has my eye. I believe the days of patchwork logos are behind us, let us never mention them again. We shall instead admire the coral Wooster Flat below. $188.
3. By Halogen(R), via Nordstrom. (This is a Nordstrom private label brand) If you’re going for trends, why not pile on? D’Orsay silhouette! Metallics! $80! If our fickle hearts grow tired quickly, we’ll give them to our daughters because they are cute and what’s good for the goose is good for the gosling.
5. From Nine West, Also $80. I used to love Nine West. Maybe time to rediscover? Those green and white stripes slay me. And they have veritable tens of colors and patterns.
6. Finally, Chinese Laundry, from my good friends at Zappos. Teaching the world how to sell online since 1999. Free shipping, free returns, it’s a pleasure. $47.99.
2104. Year of the Horse. Bringing a whole new meaning to “pointe” shoes. Badabing.