A few housekeeping notes!
1. While I’ve switched over to MailChimp, and Privilege emails with links to each week’s posts should be arriving smoothly, if you have a moment, I would to talk about when to use the Spam button in your email client and when to use the Unsubscribe link in the footer of the emails themselves.
- If the email is from Ms Grace in Uganda who needs money, or offers to let you shop and get paid if you send ALL your personal info, or promises INTEREST RATES UNDR TIN PERCINT, it’s spam. Click Spam. Yahoo and its brethren will then stop delivering emails from that IP address, the sender will be blacklisted,. Their emails may even be blocked all over the Internet.
- On the other hand, when you simply want to stop receiving emails from a reputable sender, say, J. Crew or perhaps Privilege, please click Unsubscribe. Law requires this be possible, if you don’t see an Unsubscribe link, the email is non-compliant*. Please report it as Spam, you do us all a service.
- If, however, you click Spam for a non-spammer, that person may have to spend a lot of time getting everything back in order, and other readers may then be deprived of emails they in fact wanted. Feel free to ask me how I know.
2. A reporter interviewed me a few months back about second weddings. This last Sunday, the New York Times published her lovely article in their Style section. The link is here – paywalled of course – but very nicely done. Several other people are interviewed too – here’s something I said.
“My entire emotion the second wedding was ‘I feel like I’m made of glowing cotton candy…’ ”
3. The above article reminded me to go reread all the comments on my Married post, (thank you, you all were so nice) which got me to thinking how important beautiful photography is to a style blog. I thought I’d make a request. If there are any photographers out there in the Bay Area who would like to practice their street style photography, don’t mind working around a middle-aged lady’s desire to work in the early or late Golden Hour, and would find credit and visibility on Privilege to be of value, please get in touch. You know how much (little) money I make here, my ability to compensate is commensurate, i.e. I can pay something like $25/session for gasoline etc. I realize the idea may be completely uninteresting, please excuse my ignorance. It’s a blip of an thought inspired by this blogger and her photographer. (I find her 100% adorable.)
4. Those of you who read Privilege on the site, rather than in a feed reader like Bloglovin’ or Feedly, (my personal preference) may have noticed a widget in my sidebar, below my photo but above the ads. It changes from time to time. You may have wondered, what’s that? Well, it’s a thingie I put together using Shopstyle, featuring goods with a theme. Page through if you like, using the gray arrow on the right-hand side. And, as a pay-per-click thingie, it tends to pay me between $2.50 and $.16 a day. So, not funding my dream house in Napa, but fun. Also allows me to share items I like without over-weighting blog posts with stuff, stuff, stuff.
C’est tout. By the way, if any of you have questions about how to set up a blog etc., or how to earn extremely moderate but still fun amounts of money without full commercial intent, always feel free to send me an email at skyepeale (at) yahoo (dot) com.
I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your time.
*Fun fact. The law about spam is called The CAN-SPAM Act of 2003 (acronym for Controlling the Assault of Non-Solicited P*rn*gr@phy And Marketing.)