Muffy Martini tagged* me the other day. Muffy is, to my way of thinking, a slightly offbeat preppy blogger. Which to my way of thinking, is a compliment. She likes ostriches, goes to rock concerts, and laughs really loudly on her blog. She may have trademarked HAHAHAHAHA!
10 previously unknown things about myself. OK.
Of course, being of a metaphysical bent, I would like to tell you things about myself that I don’t even know. But at 52, I believe that finding out 10 things I don’t know about myself might require a trip around the world, or spelunking, or fasting. So I’ll stick to the rules.
1. My first job was working for Cameron Mackintosh in London. My second job was working for Circle Repertory Company in New York. My third job was working for an ex-McKinsey consultant who also ran primal scream workshops. And yes, that’s quite a High WASP set of things to do, as long as they are done young.
2. I joined an eating club at Princeton. My senior year I quit (the club, not Princeton) and learned to cook.
3. My favorite color to wear is navy blue. Oh wait, you know that. Just pretend it’s a surprise.
4. In the late 1970’s my photo was in the Museum of Modern Art for a show of Larry Fink’s photos about parties. One series was of parties from a lower socioeconomic demographic and one series was of parties from a higher socioeconomic demographic. Guess where my photo wound up. I had been invited by a friend to attend the Hungarian Debutante Ball. Not something I did very often. I dressed up. I went. I was laughing with some friends and Larry Fink took our picture and apparently we looked tres** dissolute. The New York Times felt the same way I did. I didn’t know the photo was in the museum until a friend told me.
5. At one point I loved cooking so much I wanted to start a restaurant. In that dreaming-but-knowing-it’s-a-terrible-idea kind of way.
6. I adore the smell of lavender. To the point where every time I pass a lavender bush I pinch a flower head off and hold it to my nose and sniff. If it was your lavender, sorry.
7. When I was 23 I went on a date with William Hurt. I knew him as Bill.
8. I drink tea and eat whole grain toast every morning for breakfast. Oh wait, you know that. Again, please pretend it’s a surprise.
9. The story I would most like to tell on this blog is of my 3 month trip to India when I was 25. I have slides. I have my journal from the trip. Probably it will make its way here eventually.
10. Although all of this may sound a tad glamorous, it felt quite usual to live.
*I seem not to have the stomach to tag anyone else at this point. Tant pis pour moi.
**I seem not to have accents, neither grave nor aigu, on my keyboard. Encore tant pis pour moi.
***I used to speak French. Hmm. That’s 11.