I hear you. My picks tend towards the expensive. Let’s fix that. Voilà a version of the outfit I posted Friday, sourced all from Target, Zappos, Dillard’s and other moderate-price retailers.
- Stick to one neutral shade, i.e. all gray, all taupe, all cream.
- Mix textures.
- Add shine, but not too much.
- Show your ankles.
- Unbutton the cardigan’s top buttons for a flash of metallic tank and skin at the collarbone.
- Wear dangly earrings.
- Don’t skimp too much on shoes, and don’t ignore the flat/pointy-toe/ Audrey Hepburn vibe.
That’s it. So when should we arrive? I’ll bring appetizers, shall I?
Clothing links (which may generate commissions to be donated to Dress For Success)
– Merona Beaded cotton/rayon/nylon cardigan (also comes in light green)
– Mossimo Jacquard ankle pants in cotton/polyester
– Nine West pointy-toe bow shoes (which also come in red)
– Only Hearts metallic tank, on sale for $19, rayon/metallic/nylon/lycra
– Peter Nygard Plus Size metallic tank (another option, not pictured)
– Dangling spike earrings by Blu Bijoux @ Max&Chloe
– Snowflakes cooking apron, from Target. (With a matching small one for kids. Or your dog, if you prefer:))
– All candleholders from Waterford. Lismore is my favorite pattern. But it’s not the budget version, I confess.