For superstitious reasons I hesitate to tell you, but, this past week I’ve had a burst of energy. I almost don’t know what to do! Except use a rare exclamation mark in a blog post.
Does this happen to you?
I used to buzz at a high frequency all the time. Until I’d collapse, spent, for a day on the sofa reading magazines, (remember magazines?) watching television, and eating snacks. All at once.
But the past couple of years I’ve been decidedly tired. In 2015, 6 months of hormonally-driven health problems left me prone way more often than reasonable. In 2016, of course, my mother’s transition from her shared house in Santa Barbara with my stepfather to a nearby memory care facility, the problems in that process, exhausted me.
But suddenly I’m bubbling again. I am prepared for this to pass, to re-tire, if you will. But, today, in this moment, I’m thinking enthusiastically . As one does.
First, why the new energy? Possibilities:
- Less worry about Mom
- Change in my diet, from red meat-intensive to primarily chicken, fish, and vegetables
- Aiming for (and achieving more often) two yoga classes and three 30 minute walks a week
- No more midday TV on the sofa. TV stills my metabolism better than even martinis,
- Hewing to my alcohol moderation program, if not perfectly, consistently over time
Probably the ubiquitous All Of The Above, but I also think thank the visit to friends in Austin, and the comments here last Saturday. Hearing other lives, other approaches. The voice of community quiets self talk, clearing space for that small happy impulse to action. Like stop-action movies of plants flowering.
Second, what to do, especially since this may pass?
- Plan for the holidays. Not cooking for Thanksgiving, but, planning all kinds of decor for Christmas. Hoping to avoid too much shedding greenery.
- Focus on the blog. As always, I want balance, between fashion and home, monetized and not, images and writing, humor and sentiment. Christmas frenzy can make that difficult.
- Get out the vote.
- Try in general to operate without feeling like I have to urge myself forward. Move instead with natural momentum. This seems revolutionary.
Here’s what I’m not doing: any extra cleaning or decluttering. I know some might hit the closets, clearing out old photos, finding the stuff bag for an Aerobed. Not me. Although, now that I think of it, maybe I’ll get there too.
Have a wonderful weekend, one and all around.